Guiding consumers since 2009

Demand for credit slows

By Staff Writer
Credit bureaus create consumer credit profiles based on credit information received from credit providers. The national Credit Regulator (NCR) regulates and monitors registered credit bureaus and the quality of their data.

As at the end of March 2010, credit bureaus had records for 18.21 million credit-active consumers:

Of the 18.21 million credit-active consumers, 54.0% (9.84m) were classified as in good standing. The number of consumers with impaired credit records continued to increase reaching 8.37 million this quarter. This indicated a deterioration in the credit records of 191 000 consumers quarter-on-quarter and 915 000 year-on-year. Adverse listings and judgments contributed more in this category as compared to the category of 3 or more months in arrears.

The percentage of impaired accounts has increased more moderately than the percentage of consumers with impaired records, from 25.6% in the previous quarter to 25.9%.

The increase is lower over the last two quarters, than in the quarters preceding September 2009. This appears to indicate some level of stabilisation in credit performance. A total of 124.84 million enquiries were made on consumer credit records, a decline of 15.0% quarter-on-quarter and an increase of 26.2% year-on-year. The decline quarteron- quarter may be due to seasonal factors rather than the overall credit market activity.

Of the total enquiries made on consumer records, enquiries from banks and other financial institutions accounted for 42.5%, enquiries from retailers accounted for 15.0% and enquiries from telecommunications providers accounted for 20.6%.

The number of credit reports issued to consumers increased to 78,632. Of the total credit reports issued, 86% (67,694) were issued without charge, and the remaining 14% (10,938) were issued with charge. There were 12,530 disputes lodged on information held on consumer credit records for the quarter ended March 2010, which was an increase of 18.5% quarter-on-quarter and 49.1% year-on-year.

Recent Articles

Featured How are you taxed on your retrenchment package?

Unemployment is one of the biggest problems in South Africa. The emergence of the Covid-19 pandemic has exacerbated the situation with a lot of companies retrenching their employees.  When retrenched, you’ll receive a retrenchment package, but do you know how much tax you’re liable for?

Car repossessed – don’t be taken for a ride

When the country is facing an economic downturn, chances are your finances will feel the pinch. This can lead you to make bad financial decisions such as skipping your vehicle payments. But every decision has consequences and if you don’t pay your instalment, the bank will repossess your car. But what can you do when this happens?

 

Why you should consider gap cover

Your medical aid should protect you from incurring large medical bills when you’re sick. But what if your plan doesn’t cover the full cost of your medical expenses? We got in touch with insurance experts to find out whether gap cover is worth having.

Debt relief - What is your bank offering?

Going through a financial crisis is stressful whether it be as a result of losing your job, being short-paid, having to fork out towards an emergency payment, or finding yourself in the midst of a global pandemic. This is especially taxing if you have a debt to service. It is against this backdrop that banks are increasingly offering payment holidays. Justmoney looks at the various debt relief options available to you from the big five banks.

Deals

Premier Hotel and Resorts Special For Senior Citizens

Price: Available on request
When: Daily
Where: Nationwide

The President hotel 10% discount for locals

Price: Available on request
When: Until 31 October 2020
Where: Cape Town

Get 40% off when you book your stay at Colosseum Hotel

Price: Available on request
When: Until 13 December
Where: Cape Town


Latest Guide

Guide to debt rehabilitation solutions