Load shedding exemptions
In a recent report, Ernest Sonnenberg, City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for utility services, noted: “As far as exclusions from load shedding are concerned, the city is guided by what is referred to as regulation NRS048-9.” But what does this mean?
How exemptions are determined
A spokesperson for the City of Cape Town Mayoral Committee Member for Utility Services told Justmoney: “NRS048-9 identifies the following criteria for the implementation of load shedding: the safety of people, the environment, the potential damage to plants associated with a critical national product (for example wastewater treatment works) and technical constraints on executing load shedding and curtailment or restoration. Based on these criteria and where possible, the City [of Cape Town] does exclude major hospitals, major central business districts and areas where there are major crowds gathered for specific events.”
A spokesperson for Eskom further explained: “If some areas are not shed it is because they have been excluded either because of a critical load or an internal municipal decision. Critical loads are loads that should as far as possible be protected from the impact of load shedding or loss of supply in order to either maintain the operational integrity of the power system, or to avoid a cascading impact on public infrastructure.
“An example would be deep level mines, hospitals and medical centres with life-support requirements, sewerage systems, refineries, national key points reliant on electricity for their core operations, potable water systems, [and so on]. Customers can go to the various municipal websites and look up the particular areas and see if they are excluded. Some metros consciously exclude their city centres for economic reasons.”
City of Cape Town
According to the Utility Services spokesperson, there are a number of areas in Cape Town that are exempt from load shedding. “Load shedding requirements are divided among those who are not exempt from the shedding,” he noted.
The spokesperson added: “Areas that have been previously excluded are the Table Mountain cable car, as well as parts of the central business districts (CBDs) across the city and major hospitals. Some residents and businesses may be excluded from load shedding if their properties share a dedicated circuit with the abovementioned exclusions.”
Unfortunately, the spokesperson for the City of Cape Town Mayoral Committee Member for Utility Services points out that there is no website or contact number that people can make use of to identify areas that are exempt from load shedding.
However, he provided Justmoney with a list of locations that are less likely to be affected by load shedding due to these exemptions. For a list of the areas exempt from load shedding by the City of Cape Town, see below.
City of Cape Town loading shedding exemptions
· Bellville CBD: This major central business district includes two state Hospitals, Telkom international data centre, eye hospital and two private hospitals (Melomed and Louis Leipoldt)
· Tygerberg Hospital.
· Bellville South Industrial area: This area includes Consol Glass, African products, Nampak, Sappi and Albany bakery. “Most of these consumers partake in the voluntary load curtailment programme with some neighbours reaping the benefits of the location without contributing,” revealed the City of Cape Town spokesperson.
· Shopping centres: Tyger Valley, Cape Gate and Willow Bridge, excluded as mutual agreement to exclude shopping malls directly supplied from MS. These are load curtailment customers as determined by regulation NRS048-9.
· Afrox, Kuilsriver: This is also a load curtailment customer as per regulation NRS048-9, as it is a national oxygen supplier.
· Claremont Central Business District is excluded as it is a major central business district.
· Newlands Control Centre: This is excluded because it is critical to supply of elect service and network control operations (load shedding switching centre).
· Newlands Cricket: This is excluded for fixtures from October to January or February as there are large crowds gathered to attend specific events.
· Newlands Rugby: This is excluded for game fixtures between March and October, when large crowds are gathered to attend the sports matches.
· SAB Millers is a load curtailment customer as per regulation NRS048-9.
· Jan Smuts and parts of Athlone are exempt due to the Athlone Waste Water Treatment Works and Langa Sewerage Pumps.
· Atlantis Industrial is a load curtailment customers as per regulation NRS048-9.
· Atlantis Residential is excluded due to technical problems on restoration of supply.
· Groote Schuur Hospital
· Red Cross Hospital and St. Josephs Hospital.
· Pelican Park, parts Strandfontein, and parts Mitchells Plain are exempt due to the Cape Flats Waste Water Treatment Works.
· Paarden Eiland is excluded because of the Paarden Eiland Water Pump Station.
· Epping Industrial is a load curtailment customers as per regulation NRS048-9.
· Cape Town CBD is excluded as it is a major central business district, and because of Sommerset Hospital and Christiaan Barnard Hospital.
· Mitchells Plain is excluded because of the Town Centre, Promenade, the SAPS, and the Courts.
· Tamboerskloof and parts CBD are excluded because of the High Court between 08:00 and 16:00 when there are court proceedings and the Cable Car during the high season and on windy days.
Featured Steps to qualify for car insurance
By taking out car insurance, you will protect your vehicle. But before you can take out car insurance, you need to jump through a couple of hoops.
This is what you need to know about home loans
In order to afford a home in South Africa, many people take out home loans. But what exactly is a home loan, and how should you go about getting one?
How is debt consolidation different from debt counselling?
If you’re struggling to manage your debt and you decide to seek help, you will likely come across the terms “debt counselling” and “debt consolidation”. Although they sound like synonyms, these are two separate debt solutions.
What factors colour your credit application?
When you apply for a loan, your prospective creditor will assess whether you can afford the monthly repayments. But what do creditors actually consider on your credit report, and what most interests them?
Join the Sun Vacation Club and save up to 25%
Price: Available on request
When: Until 15 March 2021
Bakwena Day Spa Human Rights Day Special
Price: From R699
When: From 20 to 22 March 2021
Orion Hotels and Resorts Cocktail Dinner Special
When: Until 31 March 2021