One of the contributing factors for the lowering of fuel prices is the weakening of the Rand against the US Dollar. “The weakening of the Rand against the US Dollar decreased the contribution to the Basic Fuels Price on petrol, diesel and illuminating paraffin by 4.87 cents per litre, 4.25 cents per litre and 4.19 cents per litre respectively,” explained the Department of Energy.
As a result, fuel prices will decrease in the following way:
· Petrol 95 and 93 (ULP and LRP) will decrease by 51 cents per litre in the retail price.
· Diesel 0.05% sulphur will decrease by 75.82 cents per litre in the wholesale price.
· Diesel 0.005% (0.01%) sulphur will decrease by 73.82 cents per litre in the wholesale price.
· The wholesale price of illuminating paraffin will decrease by 70 cents per litre.
· The Single Maximum National Retail Price (SMNRP) for illuminating paraffin will decrease by 93 cents per litre.
· The maximum retail price for LPGAS will decrease by 89 cents per kilogram.
In addition to a decrease in fuel prices, consumers will also be experiencing an increase in the Petroleum Products Levy, which will jump up to 0.33 cents per litre from 0.15 cents per litre from 5 August.
The price adjustments
|5 August 2015*||R13.01||R13.26||R13.01||R12.75||R12.83||R12.83|
|1 July 2015||R13.52||R13.77||R13.52||R13.26||R13.34||R13.34|
|3 June 2015||R13.08||R13.36||R13.08||R12.82||R12.93||R12.93|
|6 May 2015||R12.61||R12.89||R12.61||R12.35||R12.46||R12.46|
|1 April 2015||R12.61||R12.89||R12.61||R12.35||R12.46||R12.46|
|4 March 2015||R11.05||R11.27||R11.05||R10.81||R10.86||R10.86|
|4 February 2015||R10.09||R10.31||R10.09||R9.85||R9.90||R9.90|
|7 January 2015||R11.02||R11.24||R11.02||R10.78||R10.83||10.83|
*Prices calculated according to 51 cent per litre decrease from July 2015 prices.
|0.05%||0.01% (0.005%)||0.05%||0.01% (0.005%)|
|5 August 2015*||R10.95||R11.00||R10.62||R10.69|
|1 July 2015||R11.71||R11.74||R11.38||R11.44|
|3 June 2015||R11.67||R11.70||R11.34||R11.40|
|6 May 2015||R11.18||R11.24||R10.85||R10.91|
|1 April 2015||R11.23||R11.29||R10.90||R10.96|
|4 March 2015||R10.00||R10.05||R9.70||R9.74|
|4 February 2015||R9.26||R9.31||R8.96||R9.00|
|7 January 2015||R10.28||R10.33||R9.98||R10.02|
*Prices calculated according to 75.82 cent per litre for 0.05% sulphur diesel, and 73.82 cents per litre for 0.01% sulphur diesel decreases from July 2015 prices.