Over the festive season, Santam will be offering its clients 10% free additional home contents cover. This additional cover will apply from 15 December 2016 to 31 January 2017 (scroll down for details of the cover).
Attie Blaauw, head of personal lines underwriting at Santam, said: “From 15 December to 31 January every year, Santam automatically increases all personal lines clients’ household contents cover by 10%, free of charge. This increase, which is explained in a policyholder’s policy schedule under extended basic cover, makes provision for any items that clients buy or receive as gifts over the holiday period when they may or may not have had time to adjust their policy.”
The additional, temporary increase of the sum insured is for the entire sum insured of the household contents. “In other words, if the client has R200 000 house contents cover, he/she will have R220 000 cover between 15 December and 31 January. Santam has been offering this added benefit since 2005,” explained Blaauw.
Santam stressed that once the holiday season is over, it is important to add all new gifts and purchases to your existing policy. The insurer further advised keeping all invoices and receipts for the items purchased and work out the replacement value of these items (not the current value).
Blaauw noted the following with regards to this additional insurance cover offering:
- This cover applies to the household contents of any Santam personal lines policyholder.
- No additional excess applies for this offering, however, we encourage policyholders to check their individual policies in this regard.
- There are no additional terms and conditions related to this offering.
- No specific monetary value applies. The 10% is automatically added to the household contents’ sum insured only if a policyholder claims in this period.
- Now is a good time to consider whether you have sufficient cover in place for your household goods.
“While we can’t comment on any competitor’s offering we do encourage everyone (including our clients and non-clients) to use our online calculators to determine whether their house contents are insured for the correct amounts,” added Blaauw.
Handy tip: Need insurance cover? You can apply for a range of insurance products on Justmoney.