Guiding consumers since 2009

Car repossessed – don’t be taken for a ride

By Athenkosi Sawutana

When the country is facing an economic downturn, chances are your finances will feel the pinch. This can lead you to make bad financial decisions such as skipping your vehicle payments. But every decision has consequences and if you don’t pay your instalment, the bank will repossess your car.

But what can you do when this happens? JustMoney finds out what happens when the lender repossesses your vehicle and how you can avoid it.

Tip: Protect your assets by applying for debt counselling. Click here and we’ll get in touch.

According to Jaco Hamman, an attorney at Hahn and Hahn,  when you miss your first payment and the lender notifies you of such and provides you with a certain number of days to catch up on your payment and you fail to pay, the lender is entitled to cancel its finance agreement with you.

Hamman says the lender must first institute action against you, such as the issuing of a summons.

“The summons will be delivered to your address via a sheriff. If you don’t defend the summons, then the lender can obtain judgement and a warrant of execution. It’s only through this warrant of execution that a sheriff can repossess your car,” says Hamman.

However, the lender is not supposed to bully and lie to you, alleging that your vehicle can be repossessed without following due process.

Be careful of illegitimate repossession

Hamman says there are many lenders who use debt collectors to repossess your car. The debt collectors will arrive at your address with a form telling you that you need to sign the form and give back the vehicle.

“This form is actually a voluntary surrender form in which you state that you voluntarily surrender your vehicle. There’s no obligation whatsoever on you to sign such a form and return the vehicle to the lender or its debt collector,” says Hamman.

“Be sure that it’s a legitimate repossession through the sheriff. If not, you’re within your rights to refuse to hand back the vehicle,” he says.

Voluntary surrender

Section 127 of the National Credit Act gives provision for consumers to voluntarily surrender their cars. If you find that you’re no longer able to keep up with your car payments, you can hand it back to the lender. You can do this by writing a letter of notice informing the lender that you want to terminate your contract.

After five business days of handing in the letter, you must return the vehicle or arrange with your creditor how the car will be returned. Your creditor will then give you written notice setting out the estimated value of the car.

You’ll have 10 days to decide whether you still want the car or not. If you’re no longer interested, the lender will sell it. If there’s a shortfall in the sale, you’ll still be liable to pay for the vehicle. However, if there’s a surplus, the lender will credit your account.

You can avoid repossession

Hamman says you can avoid repossession by making a payment arrangement with the lender and if that fails, you must determine if you qualify for debt counselling.

He says it’s important to remember that once you’re under debt counselling the only way to change your counselling status is to pay off all your short-term credit agreements.

Your debt counselling status will reflect on your credit record and you won't be able to incur any further debt, and this could also have an effect on your ability to rent property.

READ MORE: Debt counselling – the two sides of the coin.

Can you adjust your car instalments?

As with any credit agreement, you can ask your creditor to adjust your car instalments until you’re back on your feet. The creditor will reduce your instalments and extend the term of your loan.

You can also ask your creditor to defer your payments, but this isn’t advisable as the interest won’t stop accumulating. It could land you in more debt, but it will provide temporary relief.

Get car insurance at affordable premiums. Click here for a quote.

Recent Articles

Featured Make rewards programmes work for you

Many retailers and financial service providers have introduced rewards programmes, or loyalty programmes, to retain their customers and make them feel appreciated . These programmes can help you save money, but you have to know how to make them work for you.


Top 5 things to consider before taking on further credit

Nowadays, the process of attaining credit has become easier and faster. Although applying for, and receiving cash on the same day may excite potential lenders, it doesn’t come without serious repercussions if you’re not wise. 

These factors will fluctuate your car insurance excess

When you take out car insurance, your monthly premium is a given. However, you may also need to pay an excess amount if you claim from your policy. But which factors may increase your excess, and how can you bring it down?

Is income protection available to everyone?

If you’re involved in an accident and you’re unable to continue working, how will you ensure that your bills are paid? One way to prepare for this is to take out income protection cover. However, can you do this if you’re a freelancer?


Get 25% off your stay at Monte Vista Boutique Hotel

Price: Available on request
When: Until 31 January 2021
Where: Montagu

Luxury Spa Package Special for R449 at Aurora

Price: R449
When: Until 31 January 2021
Where: Cape Town

Oyster and Champagne Special at Blowfish Restaurant | JustMoney

Price: R129
When: Daily
Where: Cape Town

Latest Guide

Guide to debt rehabilitation solutions