Guiding consumers since 2009

My employer ceased contributing to my pension – what now?

By Athenkosi Sawutana

According to the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA), employers stop contributing to the pension fund mostly because of cash-flow problems. This could be due to a lack of income or a difficult economic climate. But what do you do when you’ve been hit by the nasty surprise that your employer has failed to contribute towards your pension?

Tip: Retire comfortably. Apply for a retirement annuity by filling in this form

If and when an employer fails to contribute to a fund, the Pension Fund Board has a responsibility to recover such contributions from an employer and to inform the members of the non-payment, says the FSCA. 

Section 13A(1) of the Pension Fund Act (PFA) places the responsibility on an employer to pay to the fund in full any contribution which, in terms of the rules of the fund, is to be deducted from the member’s remuneration, and any contribution for which the employer is liable in terms of those rules.

Section 37(1) of the PFA makes the non-payment of such contributions a criminal offence.

“The Board of a retirement fund is obligated to report the employer’s failure to pay contributions to its members (employees), says the FSCA.

ALSO READ: One retirement, so many funds – pick the right one.

Furthermore, such failure should also be mentioned in the member’s annual benefit statements which will provide a member with an indication of the effect it will have on their overall benefit.

Members also have the right to request such information from the fund if they suspect that the employer is not paying contributions. 

Board members of retirement funds are also obliged to bring this non-compliance under the attention of the FSCA.

An employee can report the non-compliance to the office of the Pension Funds Adjudicator (PFA) or open a criminal case at the nearest police station.

Fast facts about lodging a complaint to the PFA

  • Before you complain to the PFA, you must lodge a complaint to your fund or employer. If they don’t respond within 30 days, or you’re not satisfied with their response, you can submit your complaint to the PFA.
  • According to the PFA, you must complete a complaint form (it’s available online on the organisation’s website) and return it with a copy of your ID and proof of fund membership (benefit statement and/or salary slip) and any other documentation relating to your complaint.
  • When making allegations against your employer, you should set out the facts supporting the allegation and the conclusions you have drawn from those facts.
  • The adjudicator can’t investigate a complaint if the event it relates to occurred more than three years before the complaint was lodged unless there is a good reason.

 Can you ask for reimbursement from the employer?

According to the FSCA, employers are not allowed to pay you back directly.

“Employers must pay the arrear contributions plus interest to the applicable fund and not directly to the employees,” says the FSCA.

However, members (employees) may take steps to ensure that the employer pays the contributions to the fund.

In instances where an employer does not pay such contributions to the fund, the matter can be reported by the member to the pension funds adjudicator who can order the employer to pay such arrear contributions to the fund.

Saving for your retirement should be a priority. Use our calculator to see how much you need to save for a comfortable retirement.


Recent Articles

Featured Times are tough, but keep your debt under control

While the whole world is going through a rough patch, you may also be feeling the pinch. With the country in crisis, it may be difficult to keep up with your debt instalments. However, abandoning your debt obligations is not the solution.

Debt Series Part 2: Interest rates - unpacked

In the second part of our Debt-ucate series we explore interest rates –from how to get a better rate to what influences it, and how this affects the cost of your debt.

Debt counselling – the two sides of the coin

Being overindebted doesn’t just put a strain on your personal finances; it also puts a strain on your state of mind. The best solution is to start the process of debt counselling so that you can escape the debt cycle. But what are the ups and downs of joining this debt relief programme?

Travel ban – how to claim for the loss incurred

As with the recent Covid-19 pandemic, governments sometimes issue travel bans to prevent people from travelling to other countries. This becomes even more complicated if you’ve already planned and paid for your trip. Your flights will be cancelled, and you may lose money from cancelled accommodation arrangements. How do you claim for the financial losses incurred due to a travel ban?


Get 30% back when you fill up with your Absa card

Price: Available on request
When: Daily
Where: Nationwide

Get 50% back in eBucks when you apply for an FNB home loan

Price: Available on request
When: Daily
Where: Nationwide

Get 50% off your online fees when you pay with Capitec card

Price: Available on request
When: Daily
Where: Online